We won’t have someone from CarEnvy at the Chicago Auto Show until tomorrow so we’re going to borrow Autoblog’s staff just for today. Seriously, our very own Janaki is going to be there tomorrow. You can follow her on Twitter as she tweets haikus on the latest and greatest from the CAS. I’m not even kidding.
The Twitter account is “carenvy” (you can click on the link), so make sure to follow her!
Now back to every young tuner’s wet dream. An affordable, RWD, LSD-having, turbocharged, four-banger coupe with a manual transmission. Not since the Silvia and Celica has there been such a car. Until now. And from all the places such a dream car could have come from, is an up-and-coming Korean manufacturer called Hyundai. It is the Genesis Coupe R-Spec and it is a stripped-down relative of the Genesis Coupe that we first saw in action during the Superbowl ad with Billy Corgan.
The mouth-watering details are after the jump.
I’ve attached the nitty gritty details from the PR but here’s the low-down. You get the same 210 hp 2.0T as the Genesis Coupe Track model, but the R-Spec is $3000 less and for that you lose Bluetooth, auto headlights, cruise, trip computer, chrome interior accents and useless steering wheel audio controls. Perfect. Now you’ve got $3000 in your pocket to spend on a TBE, CAI, FMIC, and a chip. If you know what all those acronyms and slang words mean, then this is the car for you. Someone at Hyundai is listening.
Also, here’s a list of American pricing that will give you an idea of what to expect here in Canada (just add the requisite 20% premium to get the rough Canadian price). We’ll have the specifics on the Canadian models as they become available. Given what we see here, the R-Spec should be available in Canada for about $28,500 + freight. That’s less than the price of a VW GTi, while being more powerful, RWD, and… and… Korean. Nobody said it was perfect.
R-Spec equipment includes:
- 2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged intercooled four-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210-hp, an estimated 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph
- 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
- Electronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Brake Assist
- 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
- Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)
- Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)
- Torsen-type limited-slip differential
- R-Spec badging
- Quick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Front, side, side air curtain air bags
- Active front head restraints
- Driver’s lumbar support
- Air conditioning
- Remote keyless entry system
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Power windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrors
- AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakers
- iPod/USB/Aux jack connectivity
- Projector beam headlamps
- Lightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)
- Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec